Daily Life of a Marine Mom

A Piece of My Heart is home from Iraq

______________________________________________________

Thursday, April 20, 2006

------------------------------------------------------------------------  
I am soooo sorry I haven't updated everyone since Eric got home! I do promise to rectify that over the next few days. Believe me when I say I have been extremely busy and overwhelmed having my wonderful son with me again!! He is the same sweet guy that left for Iraq so long ago. War hasn't changed him, just provided him with some amazing stories and an appreciation for life that we should all have :), and of course, made him into a man, and what a MAN he is hehe! I have some good stories to tell once I get a chance to sit down and write them out! Here are a pics from the airport when we picked him up. It was VERY late (his flight didn't come in till 12:30am) but two of his friends and his sister did manage to make the ride with me to pick him up. As you can see ... mom is VERY HAPPY to have her youngest son in her arms again !!



Eric's friends, Trevor and Ryan and his sister, Crystal with their happy signs :)





Eric's big sis is happy he is home too!!




But NOONE is happier than MOM!! Yes I was crying happy tears!


There is a story that I want to pass on to you all. I think it emphasizes the difference that being in the military has on our young men and women. I know it has made a HUGE difference in the way my son responds to people.

Eric and I stopped in Walmart last night to grab a few needed things. On our way out .. the greeter (an older lady) said have a good night as always. Eric said (as always when he is spoken to) You too Ma'am. She immediately stops Eric with a hand on his arm and she asks him "You are military aren't you?". Eric - "Yes Ma'am, I am in the Marine Corps and I am on leave after returning from Iraq recently." Greeter - "Oh I just knew it when I saw you at the checkout lanes and I was absolutely SURE when you called me ma'am! Thank you so much for what you are doing for us. Can I hug you?" Eric - "Of Course you can", whereupon he bends over so that she can hug him around the neck (Eric is 6'4"). She tells us that her son-in-law has just been promoted to Lt. Corp in the Army and spent some time in Iraq too. Greeter - "I have a newspaper clipping about him (which she removes from her billfold) and you just have to read it!" Eric takes the clipping and reads every word and tells her "You must be very proud of him!" Greeter - "I am proud of ALL of you." To which I, of course, AGREE that I am very proud of them all, but especially my precious son standing next to me taking the time to talk to her (of course I don't say it that way though hehe)! I tell her to thank her son-in-law and give him a hug from me. She says she will be glad too. As we are leaving Eric asks her if she would like another hug and he hugs her again.

That is the way EVERYONE should greet our military men and women! I know I try too. So hug your military man or woman for ME the next time you see them!

Semper Fidelis and God Bless you all!

_______________________________________

Update on Ben: Ben's mom has created a webpage at Caringbridge.org to keep everyone updated on how Ben is doing and it also has a guestbook so you can leave encouragement on there for him and his family. The website addy is http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lcplbenhardgrove
Please stop in and read Jamie's journal entries on Ben's progress (much more info there than I could pass on) and leave a note in the guestbook. Ben is struggling right now to wake up and he still desperately needs our prayers.

Comments: |
Handsome young man, Marine Mom; smart, too. Please give him my regards.
I will pray for Ben's progress and sign his book.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
about
tributes
archives
rings
search
subscribe
other blogs
listed
other

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Listed on BlogShares